Sunday, July 26, 2009

Top 5 tips for buying a new guitar




A lot of my friends always ask me to come with them when they make any sort of guitar purchase because they think that I can somehow miraculously select the one needle in a haystack of crappy Gibson QC (yea, that was a stab at Gibson's quality control of late).

The truth is, there are definitely things to look for when buying a new guitar, but sometimes there can be unforeseen complications like wiring problems, a bum pickup or whatever...Not everything is perfect.

I attempted to group together the top 5 things I look for when buying a guitar, so I hope it helps you make a good decision.

1. Body resonance
For me, this is really important. When I try out a new guitar in the store, I try and play it unplugged first to see what it sounds like acoustically. If it sounds flat and dead, then odds are it will sound just the same through an amp. If I pick it up and can clearly hear the note definition as well as feel the body of the guitar resonate with the notes, then I know I have a well put together guitar in my hands.

2. Attention to detail
Now I know this can be a selective criteria, but you can still tell if the makers of a guitar have really taken pride in what they have created. Try to look at everything that makes up the guitar. Look at how the frets are installed: Are they even? Is the neck-pocket a nice, tight fit? Is the finish smooth and even? If these things are taken care of, chances are the manufacturer used the same attention to detail on the inside as well.

3. Playability
PLAY THE GUITAR!! This is purely selective. How does the guitar feel in your hands? I've gone into a guitar store before and gone straight to whatever guitar catches my eye, only to find out it plays like a 2x4 with spaghetti strings. Never, EVER buy a guitar based on looks. You will be much, much happier with a great playing guitar down the road. Remember guitars are for playin', not displayin'!

4. How long has the guitar been on display?
This may seem like a dumb question, but always think to ask the salesman how old the guitar on the shelf is. Sometimes guitars sit on the walls of music shops for months and months, maybe even a year or two. Throughout all that time they're on the walls, people come in and out and play them. After a while, that adds up to almost being like a used guitar. Sometimes, if the guitar has been on the floor long enough, you can negotiate a better pice with the store. Try it out, it works!

5. Don't look at the headstock!
I can't stress this enough: DON'T LOOK AT THE HEADSTOCK! What I mean is; don't get caught up on a guitar because of the manufacturer. Yes, it is nice to say "I own a Gibson," but you could very well own some sort of Les Paul copy, like a Japanese-made Edwards, for a fraction of the price, but sacrificing little to no quality. Don't just buy a guitar to impress your friends. Try out new brands you have never heard of: sometimes you may surprise yourself.

I hope these tips help you guys pick out the perfect guitar for you. Try and keep these in mind and Happy Shopping!

Bookmark and Share



0 comments:

Post a Comment