Friday, July 31, 2009

Another new Gibson SG


Everyone's all abuzz right now over this new Gibson SG, so I figured I would give it my .02. Dubbed the "Zoot Suit," it looks like a glorified Clapton Cream-era SG to me. However, after I looked more at the different finish options, it seems to remind me of an SG lollipop, or maybe one of those sand art things you make at the fair.

Turn this bad boy over, and look at the neck you've got!

This neck looks beautiful! I wasn't sure about the rainbow-esque feel to it, but I think it works really well with the design of the guitar. I especially like the split-design headstock and the fact that there are no fret markers.

You may ask yourself, "How is that unique finish achieved?" Well, lets let Gibson.com tell you:
The body of the Zoot Suit features a brand new body built with multiple birch wood laminate pieces (each one approximately .075” thick), each dyed with a different color then compressed and bonded together to form one solid block of wood. No paint is used. Each body is given two coats of satin nitrocellulose lacquer.

Hmm... birch wood laminate? Birch, to me, doesn't seem like it belongs on an electric guitar. I'd have to try that out before I can really formulate an opinion, but I do like the fact that all the wood is dyed, and no paint is used. It should let the wood "breathe" better, as the Lennon said.

I'll leave you with a few more pictures to drool over. If you want to see more, check out the full specs and more photos on the Gibson page.



Black and Red


Black and White


Natural and Black


Red and Blue

0 comments:

Post a Comment